Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"No Sew" Shabby Chic Chair Pillow!


I've seriously been on one heck of a craft kick the past few weeks, and here is my latest "completed" project! We got rid of our old beaten down entertainment center last week and bought a new delightfully distressed ivory piece in it's place. I love it!!!!! The only thing is that it is a little shorter than the one we had before, so when everything was said and done there was this awkward space on it's side. I thought about what I should put there and remembered I had this old distressed black chair that I bought as a prop from a thrift store for $5.00. I pulled it out of the garage and brought it to it's new home in my living room. However, it still didn't look....right. I decided it needed a chair cushion! I went to Wal-Mart and Target but of course didn't like anytime I saw. Then I remembered that I had this awesome teal blue and tan/gold fabric that I use as a backdrop for photo sessions. I pulled it out and just cut enough off for the pillow case. I went to JoAnn's and picked up a foam chair cushion, batting and hemming tape and went to work!

Supply List:

Fabric
Hemming Tape
( Feel free to sew your pillow... I used hemming tape because my sewing machine is in need of repair and the hemming tape is OH SO EASY!)
Iron/Ironing board
Foam chair pillow cushion
Batting
Hot glue gun (Optional)
Here we go:

First, I laid out my materials...



Then, I placed the cut down foam cushion on the fabric and marked where the crease would be. I turned the fabric inside out and placed the hemming tape along the side to create a seam. I ironed the seam to make the hemming tape adhere strongly. After all the sides were sealed, I turned the fabric right side out and ironed it a little more just to give it a little extra adhesive.


Here is a close up of how the seam turns out once the fabric has been turned right side out...


Here, I cut two long strips of the fabric to make the ties. I used the hemming tape to give them nice edges


This next part depends on how you want to do it...because my sewing machine is out of commission for a little while and the hemming tape was just not working with all the batter holding the fabric apart, I chose to pull out old faithful...my hot glue gun! I placed the ties where I wanted them and glued them in place along with the last side of the pillow.


And...TA DA! All done! Just tie the ties on the pillow and you are all set!


Here is my "new" chair in it's new home next to the TV stand. :D



Way too easy + SUPER cheap + Adorable outcome = MY KIND OF PROJECT! :D



1 comments:

Unknown said...

Whom ever you are GET BACK to blogging! I love your style!!!

Diane