Thursday, April 21, 2011

Making the Sunburst Mirror!


This week at Craft Night, Angela taught us how to make this beautiful sunburst mirror! We had a lot of fun with this and couldn't believe how inexpensive it is to make and how chic/expensive it looks when it's done!! Everything could be purchased at the dollar store except for the round mirror in the center. (We all found ours at Michaels for under $2.00) The total cost otherwise was only about $1.00 as most of us already had scissors and hot glue gun's at home! 

Here are your supplies:

-4 pieces of poster board (Can be whatever color you'd like)
-Sharp Scissors
-Hot Glue Gun
-Pencil/Pen


Here is how to make it:

First, take two paper towels (still attached) and outline the longest length of a "Petal" or "Sun ray" that you would like for the back row of your mirror (As you move on to the small layers, just cut off a piece of the paper towels to make your outline shorter)



After you have drawn your outline and cut it out, tape it to the poster board and begin cutting your rays. You should line the first one to be pretty close to the edge so that you can get about 4 rays from one side of the poster board.



If you'd like, you can fold your board so that you can cut all four at one time


Here is an example of a cut "ray"


According to the example piece at the top of the page, you should have two layers of eight "rays" and one layer of four "rays". But remember, this is YOUR project! So, if you want more or less rays go with your gut! You'll be happier if you do it the way you want! ;)


After you've cut all your "rays" or "petals", hit the floor with the hot glue gun and glue those suckers onto the small mirror or outline around the mirror

<<Side Note>> Feel free to use whatever you'd like to outline the mirror and make it POP! Some of the things that we used were black foam, a black plate charger or just a round left over piece of poster board painted a darker color

AGAIN...This is YOUR project...It will probably hang in YOUR home or business, so do it YOUR way! Angela has a business where she makes glitzy flower accessories so she made hers into a giant "Glitzy Girlies" Flower... So cute!


I didn't realize that spray paint doesn't hold on paper (Yes people...I know, I know...I'm still learning!) so after a major chrome spray paint FIASCO.... I ended up painting my "Petals" to look like a sunflower to go in my back porch. Can I just tell you that I adore serendipity! What could have been a major let down became an awesome alternative! I can't wait to hang it out there!


One thing for sure though...you can't go wrong with the classics! Check out how beautiful and classy these two look!!!!


I missed getting my own shots of the white mirrors, so thankfully I got copies from the artists themselves! I don't have photos of the other three that were made but let me assure you...they were FABULOUS! One of the girls is waiting until she can find the perfect little clock to go inside her "rays" or "petals"! Such a fun alternative to the mirror!


One last note! To get this look, each ray was folded down the middle to give it some dimension and texture! It so totally appeals to the eye!

Great job, Ladies!! This was definitely a craft night success! :D

3 comments:

Mandy Judd said...

So how many am I supposed to cut again? haha Thanks for a fun night! :)

Brittany Woolley said...

LOL!! I was thinking about that as I was posting! ha ha It WAS an awesome night! I can't wait for the next one! :D

Angela Dewberry said...

lol, seriously, did you even ever get them done?!